Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Christmas Menagerie ....Argh!


 The Christmas period has been a bit wild to say the least! We found a new friend - blue tongue lizard - who lives in our retaining wall and loves to sit behind my make shift veggie patch (broccoli box).
We've found two dead red belly black snakes. The second my kids ran up to me holding.. not wearing any shoes.. freaked out a little.

 We've also had the neighbours 2 cats and blind dog to look after. The other neighbours' fish, the pre-school rabbit and a friend's chickens to look after over Christmas.

The above photo of Scruffy cracks me up. This is her welcoming me in the front door. I stamp around so she figures out where I am but I'm still followed with the bash and clang of her head hitting walls and chairs - sets my teeth on edge!



This was us after New year as we joyfully got rid of the last pet (Lucas just got scratched by Lightening Rod and Riley isn't actually happy... ok so it's just me that was happy to see the poor thing go).

I'd had enough of telling the kids not to climb in the cage with the rabbit just to get a cuddle!


Then we got all smart with some new clothes. Here's Riley in his new Sunday gear. Obviously I've said, "smile".

 I had a look online and also checked out a few things to do for this year's Danish Christmas treat.
Of course you have to set the mood first.

I decided on Pebernødder (Pepper nuts with white pepper, cardamon and cinnamon). They're different from Germany's Peppernuts (Pfeffernüsse) are soft and don't taste anything like these.

I found the smaller I made them the better. They're crunchy and delightful with a warming spiced after taste. 
I'll keep this recipe for sure!


Not of our heritage .. German hazelnut meringues. Though mine turned out more like macaroons. So delish though!
 

This year we had two types of honey in the co-op order. Peppergum and Ironbark-Bush box.

 These went into Mrs Browett's Christmas gift basket. She was the best best best teacher EVER!

It was also the Christmas fancy dress parade at school. They got to be in costume all day and play about.
Poor Lucas.. his Mother was the only parent who didn't think to buy her child a new (or appropriately sized) costume! He didn't seem to mind them being so short and... fitted.
 Riley took a walk around with Lucas.


We also visited everything Christmassy that we could. We went to the usual temple Nativity display. We always end up playing in the flowers though.
"Smile"

The library Christmas tree was really good.
The boys had a great time decorating our home and tree. I only needed to help a little bit and it was truly festive :)