Sunday, December 07, 2008

Trauma Teddies should not be called Douglas.

Actually it really was the perfect name for the teddy. Picture this - My paramedic trainer and I get called to a little girl who has hurt herself and we take her to hospital (triage bay). Strangely she has not said a word since her accident, yet Mom says she normally does not shut up, she is the noisiest out of four children. Her parents could not get her to speak, neither the nurses, or the doctors, or my trainer.... nobody could get her to say even one word.

This went on for over an hour. The little girl was given a trauma teddy to help her with the event and help her to open up and say something. We all came up with names for the teddy in a hope she would verbally agree with a suggested name...but nothing. I asked the girl's mother what the older brother's name is. She said "Douglas". So I went over to the little girl and said "I think the teddy should be called Douglas". Before I could take a breath there beamed out a stern voice from the little girl "NO...that's my brother's name" - well the emergency staff let out one big cheer in unison.....she can speak after all.

However the little girl had a point, trauma teddies really should not be named Douglas.