Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Garden ramble

It's been raining lots here, but not enough to keep us indoors. So this week we've been pulling weeds out (perfect time when the ground is so wet and soft) and exploring.

I found this lovely little thing, see if you can guess what it is :o) I love the pic - could almost pass for a Christmas card.
This is our flowering pineapple sage plant. I was going to lop it all off until I saw the flowers coming. The buds grew as if shy to show themselves, bent over like catkins then as they became darker in colour and started to flower they raised up. Very interesting.. I think anyway.


This is a fine loofa specimen. Flippin' late to get going so I've had to hand pollinate all of them (no bees around). So in another couple of months they'll be big, dried and ready to use.

Lucas has a "thing" for this particular part of the garden (together with the pumpkin patch).
He starts on the right, next to the bushy thyme, then trudges his way through the undergrowth -as if on a tour of duty- to the celery. Here he stands for a while watching the snails, picking them off (good boy!) before heading back through the rustling leaves of the lemon balm.

It's nice to think he's growing up with all the smells and textures the garden offers. This is why I haven't ripped out the pineapple sage (useless plant as it is). He loves scrunching the garlic chives, unfortunately for Daddy as they're his favourite herb in the garden.